Masala Idli is an easy recipe suitable for both breakfast and snacks.I am sure most south indian homes will have leftover idlis and you can make this easily for snack time or for breakfast, very quick to make and tasty to eat as well. This is a different take to idli upma
and vegetable podi idli
and adding chana masala powder gives great flavour to this dish.
Masala Idli Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Makes : 4 sandwiches
Idli - 4
Big Onion - 1 medium sized chopped finely
Tomato - 1 big sized chopped roughly
Capsicum - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -a generous pinch
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chana Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
- If you are using fresh idlis then refrigerate for 30mins.Then chop them into small cubes.Collect them in a bowl and set aside.In a pan heat oil - add the items listed under ' to temper'.
- Once mustard and jeera crackles add ginger garlic paste, saute for 2 mins then add onion and saute till transparent.Then add tomatoes.
- Saute for 3mins then add red chilli powder,turmeric powder,chana masala powder and required salt.Saute till the masalas blend well and tomatoes are mushy.Then add capsicum and saute for a while.
- Sprinkle little water to make it to a semi gravy then add the idlis and toss well.Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
- I used fresh idlis so refrigerated and then used.If you are using leftover previous day idlis then you can cut it as such even without refrigerating.
- This dish is slightly moist, should not be too dry so sprinkle little water.
- After the idli cubes are added, don't overcook just toss over else idlis will start to crumble.
- Adding chana masala powder is optional, you can replace it with garam masala powder.
Labels: idli varieties, leftover idli recipes