Semiya Biryani is a great one pot meal for lunch.I have tasted Semiya Biryani twice that too during my school days.Once my friend brought it for lunch and it tasted so yum that we asked her to bring a dabba for us.She promised and she did bring a big daba for all of us and I remember eating quite a larger portion than I usually eat.After that I never got a chance to taste it, Last week when I was at my neighbours place, she asked me to taste her new experiment of vermicelli biryani and woow it tasted so good that I got the recipe immediately.
I made this semiya biryani ,onion raita
,curd semiya and amma made fish fry
and it was such a satisfying lunch, sure a welcoming change to the boring usual rice lunch menu.So do try this semiya biryani for variation and am sure you are gona love it for sure.I used my ultra
pressure pan for making this semiya biryani from start to finish and it was so easy and quick to make this one pot meal.
Semiya Biryani Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins |
Vermicelli - 2 cups
Mixed Vegetables* - 1 and 1/2 cups
Big Onion - 1 medium sized finely chopped
Tomato - 2 small sized chopped roughly
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Mint Leaves - 1/4 cup loosely packed
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1.5 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 1 tbsp + 2 tsp for garnish
Water - 4 cups
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1/2 tbsp + 1 tsp
Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Cardamom - 1
Bayleaf - 1
Fennel seeds powder - 1 tsp
Mixed Veggies* - I used beans,peas and carrot
- Chop carrot, beans, deshell peas rinse the veggies and keep aside.Measure semiya, I tooked a slightly heaped 2 cups of vermicelli.Take a pan....(I used my pressure pan) and dry roast vermicelli for few mins until slightly golden.Set aside to cool.
- In the same pan heat 4 cups of water, when it starts to boil add vermicelli and cook for exactly 4 mins.
- Drain water and let it to cool.Add little oil and fluff the vermicelli.It should be nicely separated.Set aside.
- Heat oil + ghee - add the items listed under 'to temper', add onion and ginger garlic paste fry till golden then add tomatoes.
- Saute for 2mins then add red chilli, coriander and garam masala powders along with required salt.Cook till tomatoes turn mushy then add mint and coriander leaves.
- Once the masalas are blended, add the veggies saute for few mins and add 1 cup of water and cook in low flame.Cook till the veggies are tender yet crunchy to bite.
- Once the veggies are cooked and the mixture becomes dry, add cooked vermicelli and toss it well and cook covered for 3mins.Finally garnish with a tsp of ghee and coriander leaves.
Serve hot with onion raita!
- Make sure to cook vermicelli only for 4mins not more than that.Drain all the water and set aside for 5mins, it will look sticky at this stage but after you start fluffing it will become separated.
- I used the veggies I had in hand, you can use veggies like beans,baby corn etc
- You can use 2 tbsp coconut milk / curd while sauteing the veggies for extra flavour.
Labels: vermicelli recipes