Soya Chunks Pulao is a simple and mild pulao recipe with coconut milk.I usually add soya chunks to vegetable biryani or on very rare ocassions make soya chunks biryani.Last week when my neighbour shared thenga paal sadam which had soya chunks and peas, I just loved it, it was so tasty. Amma makes thenga paal sadam without any veggies so the idea of adding soya chunks and peas was new to me so tried the same and it came out soo good.This is a very easy one pot meal that you can make for lunch, just get reasy with coconut milk and cooked soya then you are done with this pulao in minutes,You can pair it up with some spicy curry.
Check out other recipes using soya chunks in the collection page
Soya Chunks Pulao
Preparation Time:30 minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves:2
Basmati Rice - 1/2 cup
Soya Chunks - 1/2 cup
Fresh Green Peas - 1/4 cup
Big Onion - 1 medium sized chopped lengthwise
Green Chilli - 1 slitted
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Mint Leaves - around 15 leaves
Thick Coconut milk - 1/4 cup
Water - 3/4 cup
Garam Masala powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- Boil water + milk in a pan till it bubbles up rigourously.Switch off and add the soya chunks and let it aside for few mins for it to grow in size.Meanwhile soak basmati rice for atleast 30mins.
- Then rinse soya chunks in cold water atleast twice to get rid of the raw smell.Drain and squeeze excess water and Set aside.In a pressure pan , heat oil + ghee add items listed under 'to temper', let it splutter.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and onion, fry till onions turns transparent then add mint leaves, saute for a minute.
- Then add soya chunks and peas, give a quick mix then add garam masala powder and required salt .Saute for 2mins.
- Then add rice after draining soaked water.Mix well then add coconut milk.
- Add water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.Once pressure releases fluff it up.Transfer to serving dish.
- Soaking rice helps in getting grains separated and also soft texture.
- Adding garam masala powder is optional.
- You can increase coconut milk and reduce water quantity accordingly, nut don't add more than 1/2 cup coconut milk else the rice will become sticky.
- If you are using the bigger variety of soya chunks, chop them into 2 then add it.
- The number of whistles depends on your pressure cooker and also the variety of basmati rice that you are using.
Labels: Soya chunks recipes