Gobi Manchurian Dry is my fav starter...Gobi Manchurian is a very popular Indo-Chinese starter.I am not a big fan of manchurian dishes but prefer the dry crisp version than the saucy versions.I have already posted a saucy version of Gobi Manchurian so this time its the crisp dry version of Gobi manchurian.I have tasted this crisp version of Gobi manchurian in few restaurants and loved it so thought to recreate the same at home.Hubby loves manchurian dishes so much, he loves it as a starter or as a sidedish for fried rice.
Check out more manchurian recipes already posted :
Gobi Manchurian Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Gobi(Cauliflower) florets - 1 cup(around 20 florets)
Oil - to deep fry
Water - to parboil gobi
Recipe Category: Side dish / Starter | Recipe Cuisine: Indo Chinese
For the batter:Cornflour - 2 tbsp
Maida - 1 tbsp
Cooking soda - a tiny pinch(optional)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - as required to make the batter
For the manchurian:Oil - 1 tbsp
Capsicum - 1/4 cup cubed
Garlic - 1 tbsp chopped finely
Big Onion - 3 tbsp finely chopped
Soya sauce - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Sauce - 1/2 tsp(optional)
Tomato Sauce - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Spring onions(white part)- 1 tbsp white part
Spring onions(green part) - 2 tbsp green part
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and set aside.Boil water with salt, add the florets and cook for a min or 2 then switch off.This step is purely optional.
- Drain and set aside.In a mixing bowl - add cornflour,maida,red chilli powder,pepper powder,ginger garlic paste and salt.Add little water.
- Make a smooth paste, it should to thick enough to coat the veggie at the same time should be flowing too.Now dip the Gobi florets in the batter and deep fry them.Do not overcrowd, turn over and fry evenly.I did in batches,
- Drain in tissue and set aside.Heat oil in a pan - add garlic and spring onion white part, fry for a minute then add onion capsicum, fry till slightly golden.
- Then add the sauces along with freshly ground pepper powder.Add required salt.Finally add the fried Gobi pieces.
- Give a toss.Finally add spring onion green part and give a quick mix.
Serve hot with any fried rice of your choice or just as a starter.Serve immediately before it becomes soggy.
- I usually parboil Gobi s and then tawa toast it.But if you are deep frying no need to parboil, I do it to get rid of worms if any.Do not overcook, it should only be slightly soft.
- Don't skip spring onions as it gives a nice flavour.
- Adding onions and capsicum is optional, you can skip that too.
- Using freshly ground pepper gives nice flavour to manchurian dishes.
- Always serve hot as it may turn soggy when resting time is given.
- Make sure not to saute the veggies for a long time as the veggies need to be crunchy.
- Dont add more soya sauce than the mentioned amount else it will change the taste and make the manchurian more darker in color.
- I did not use any red color, if you prefer add it to the batter.
Labels: Gobi Recipes, Manchurian Recipes