Punjabi Dum Aloo is very mild and not so spicy with a tanginess.Dum Aloo is a very rich creamy gravy and there are so many variations of it.This is Punjabi Dum Aloo, I have already posted Kashmiri Dum Aloo
and Dum Aloo Recipe
with curd as base.I saw this Punjabi Dum Aloo Recipe in a magazine few weeks back and tried it today.I am not sure whether the recipe is authentic but sure can guarantee it comes out good :) It is not spicy with a slight tangy and sweet taste which makes it perfect for both rice and phulkas.I just had my lunch, loved it so much that I couldn't wait to share the recipe, So here I am with the recipe with stepwise pictures.
Punjabi Dum Aloo Recipe
Preparation Time:5 minutes | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves:2
Baby Potatoes - 20
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Big Onion - 1/4 cup finely chopped
Tomatoes - 2
Punjabi Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves - to garnish
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
To grind to a paste:
Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
Jeera - 1/3 tsp
Cashews - 5 whole
Oil - 1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
- Puree the tomatoes and set aside.Rinse the potatoes well, pressure cook for 4 whistles or until soft.Peel of the skin and prick them with a fork, be careful don't let the potatoes break.
- In a pan heat a tsp of oil and fry the potatoes till slightly golden, drain in tissue paper and set aside.
- In a pan - heat oil - add items listed under 'to temper' then add ginger garlic paste fry for a minute, then add onion and saute till golden.Then add tomato puree along with red chilli and garam masala powders.
- Cook till raw smell leaves, it willl become thick at this stage add cashew paste and mix well.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water.Add baby potatoes let it simmer for 5mins till the gravy is combined with potatoes.Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve with any mild pulav or jeera rice or even with plain basmati rice.Goes well even with rotis!
- I just fried it with little oil.You can even deep fry them directly.
- Choose baby potatoes such that its not too small or too big.Mine was small so I didn't half them.If you have big potatoes then half each potato.
- The consistency should be semi thick so adjust accordingly.
Labels: potato recipes, small potato recipes