Sharkara Upperi is one of my recent tries.I love sweet banana chips so much but both hubby and mittu are fond of nendran chips
only so made this sweet chips with 1 banana and made nendran banan chips with the remaining 2 bananas.This sarakara varatti / upperi is usually served in Onam Sadya
so wanted to post it this time.I saw this video
and got an idea of the method, and tried with my own measurements and here is my version of sharakara upperi :)
Preparation Time:10 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Makes:1 cup
Nendran Raw Banana - 1 big (comes to 1 cup after chopping)
Jaggery - 1/3 cup
Jeera Powder - 1/4 tsp
Dry Ginger Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Oil - to deep fry
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Soak jaggery in warm water, crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked here).Cool down, strain and keep aside.I made more than above mentioned quantity for storing purpose so please don't compare it with the ingredients list quantity.
- Take rice flour and roast for few mins without changing the color, when smoke starts to come switch off and set aside to cool.Take raw banana, first peel of the skin and chop them into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry it until golden, the shh sound should stop.It will give tapping sound while it touches the sides of the kadai, that way you can make sure its fried well.
- Drain in tissue paper and set aside.Heat jaggery syrup in pan, meeanwhile get jeera powder,dry ginger powder and cardamom powder.
- Once the jaggery syrup nicely bubbles up and becomes thick like honey and starts to form single thread add the powders, mix well and then add fried chips and keep cooking until the syrup is absorbed well may be for 2-3mins then switch off.
- Finally add roasted rice flour and keep mixing till it coats the chips.
Cool down and store in airtight container and enjoy.
- Make sure you fry the chips until crisp else the chips will later become soggy and soft.
- Jaggery syrup consistency is very important so don't add more water while preparing the syrup.
- Adding dry ginger powder gives great flavour and helps in digestion too.
Labels: Onam Sadhya Menu, Teatime snacks