Ellu Kozhakattai also known as Ellu Mothagam is similar to poorna kozhukattai
with ellu(sesame filling).I love ellu urundai
amma makes, soft and flavourful, you can even make that as stuffing for this kozhukattai.I tried this sesame modak for the first time and it turned out soo good.Even hubby who is not fond of sweet kozhakttai appreciated it.
Wishing all a very Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!!
Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe
Preparation Time:15 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Makes:9
Rice Flour(Idiyappam Flour) - 1 cup leveled
Water - as needed
Oil - to grease
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
For the stuffing(pooranam):
Black Sesame - 1/2 cup
Powdered Jaggery - 1/2 cup heaped, Water - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - a generous pinch
Coconut - 2 tbsp grated
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Strain and keep aside.(I made more than above mentioned quantity for storing purpose).
- In a mixing bowl add rice flour, salt and mix well.Boil water and add it little by little.
- Mix with a laddle, once it forms together and is a bit warm to handle then use your hands to knead it a soft dough.Do all this off the stove.Keep this covered with a wet cloth to avoid drying while you do make the stuffing.
- Rinse sesame and strain it well.Let it dry for a while.In a pan dry roast sesame till it pops out.Don't let it burn.Set aside,
- Now take the jaggery syrup and heat it up till it becomes honey like in consistency.Now add roasted sesame and coconut.
- Keep cooking till it forms a thick stuffing, it will easily leave the sides of the pan but will be sticky.Set aside to cool.Now from the prepared dough pinch a lemon sized balls and roll it to a ball.
- Flatten it thin and press in the center to make a dent, it should be like a small cup as shown below.Now take a generous spoon of sesame filling and place it in the middle.Bring the edges to the center.
- And seal it in the form of a modak.Likewise make all the modaks and keep it ready.Steam it for 10mins or until they turn shiny and look cooked.
Serve hot / warm!
- Make a thick jaggery syrup so that it thickens faster after sesame is added.
- Make sure to rinse sesame to get rid of dirt if its there.
- For a easier version you can even add powdered jaggery as such along with sesame, cook for sometime and make the mothagam but I usually add jaggery syrup as amma always insists to make syrup out of jaggery to get rid of any mud properties usually found in jaggery.
- Asjust sweetness according to your preference.Usually when you taste the stuffing, it should be slightly oversweet only then it will be perfect when its stuffed.
- If you prepare the dough before hand, make sure to keep covered with a wet cloth to avoid drying up.
- You can use white sesame too.
- I used store bought rice flour, brand name is Nirapara.
Labels: Kozhukattai Recipes, Vinayagar Chathurthi Recipes