Idli Fry or Idli Fingers is nothing but fried idli with a generous sprinkle of spice powders which can be anything of your choice like chat masala powder / amchur powder / roasted jeera powder, it can be a great snack to be had.I've already tried chilli idli
so this time wanted to try idli fry and baked version of it, I loved both versions but obviously the deep fried version scored a little more than the baked version.I usually make idli upma
with leftover idli which is my favorite anytime.This idli fry can be had as such or can be accompanied with tomato ketchup.
I made this idli fry(deep fried version)in the morning and then served it for mittu as evening after school snack, still the crispness was there and she loved it.I had the baked version soon after the photo shoot itself, it was super spicy and yum.
Idli Fry Recipe
Preparation Time:10 minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves:1
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Baked Version:Idli - 2
Oil - 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Deep Fried Version:Idli - 2
Oil - to deep fry
Chat Masala Powder - as needed
- If your idlis are fresh then refrigerate for atleast an hr then cut it.If you are using a day old idlis then you can directly proceed.Cut the idlis lengthwise,Set aside.Preheat oven at 180 deg C.Take a plate add oil,salt,red chilli powder and garam masala powders, mix it well.Now coat the idli pieces with this spice mix.I used 2 idlis for deep frying and 2 for baking.
- Coat such that the spice mix is even both sides.Arrange the idli pieces in a baking tray.Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 10-12 mins or until the edges start to turn crisp, turn over to other side inbetween.
- For the deep fried version - Heat oil in a kadai, add the idli peices and deep fry them till golden brown.Drain in tissue paper.Sprinkle chat masala powder and serve.
- Using a day old idli works best.I used fresh idlis so refrigerated for a while then used.
- If you use fresh idlis as such it may start sticking while frying in oil.
- While deep frying take care to fry the smaller pieces in a batch then bigger pieces in another batch.
- The spice powders are your preference.Adjust to your liking.
- The baked version is a little spicy, so adjust spice level according to your taste buds.
- You can also tawa fry the idlis.
Labels: idli, leftover idli recipes