Thattapayaru Sundal is a very flavourful sundal, you can even make sweet sundal with thattapayaru.As its first time, I tried a simple spice mix for this sundal and it turned out so flavourful and good.I loved it as such and had the leftover with lunch for sambar rice and it was a great combo.
Thattapayaru is also cowpeas,you can check more about the legume here
Hope you are a having a great Navarathri week!!
Thatta payaru Sundal Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 1 hr | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
For Salt:Thattapayaru - 1/2 cup
Fresh Grated Coconut- 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
To roast and grind:Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
Pepper corns- 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli - 3 to 4
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a small sprig
Hing - a tiny pinch
- Dry roast thattapayaru for just 3 mins or until nice aroma comes.Pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame or until it becomes soft but don't make it mushy.Drain water and set aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients listed under 'to roast and grind' till slightly golden then let it cool down.Grind it to a semi coarse mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it crackle.Then add thattapayaru along with salt and the spice powder(I didn't add fully just added half of it)
- Toss it well and cook for 2mins in low flame.Then add grated coconut and give a quick mix.Switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- Adjust spice level according to your taste buds.
- Roasting and cooking the legume lends great flavour to the sundal.
- Do not overcook the legume and make it mushy, it should be cooked soft at the same time not mushy.
Labels: Navaratri Recipes, Sundal Recipes