I had few requests to post easy sweet recipes and when I was searching for halwa recipes, this bread halwa caught my attention.So tried it out immediately, this is not only easy to make with available ingredients in your pantry,tastes delicious.I was planning to make this bread halwa without milk to increase the shelf life but my sis insisted to add milk for richness so did the same.I loved to eat it hot, it was so good,just melted.
Bread Halwa - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Makes : 3/4 cup
Milk Bread - 5 slices
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Ghee - 1/4 cup
Cashews - 5 whole (broken)
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Trim the edges of bread slices and cut into small squares,Set aside.Add half of ghee in a pan and heat it.Add the bread pieces.
- Keep roasting till it is golden brown.Add milk first add 1/2 cup mash it well.Then add another 1/2 cup.
- Let it get cooked for a min.Then mash it well with the laddle.Now add sugar.
- It will start to turn goey.At this stage slowly add ghee, little by little and keep mixing.Reserve a tsp of ghee alone.
- Once it starts to leave the sides of the pan.It is the right stage, now fry cashews in a tsp of ghee till golden and add it.Give a quick mix and switch off.
Serve hot / warm.
- Roast the bread pieces till golden brown.
- Don't compromise on ghee, then you will not the desired halwa texture and consistency.
- When it turns into a mass, ghee will start to ooze out at the sides thats the correct stage to switch off.
- The final consistency should be goey not thick.
- Keeps well for 2 days if refrigerated.While serving just heat it and serve.
- I used milk bread, you can use normal bread too but make sure you increase sugar.
Labels: diwali sweets recipes, halwa recipes