Rava Appam is a delicious snack that you can make for Karthigai Deepam which is next week,I have already posted neiappam and wheat flour appam so thought of posting Rava Appam this year.I loved making this and eating it too, it was quite addictive that I couldn't resist myself till the shoot was over.
Rava Appam Recipe
Preparation Time:1 hr | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes:12 small appams
Fine Rava - 1/2 cup
Wheat Flour - 1/4 cup
Maida - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Coconut - 2 tbsp grated
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Cooking soda - 1/8 tsp
Salt - a tiny pinch
Water - as needed
Oil - to deep fry
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Take rava in a mixing bowl, add water till immersing level, water should not float.Set aside for an hr.
- After an hr add wheat flour and maida, then sugar to rava mixture.
- Add water to it and mix well to form a thickish batter, more like idli batter consistency.
- Add coconut, cardamom powder, baking soda and salt , mix well.Heat oil - spoon the batter and add it to the kadai.Use a deep curved laddle / spoon to get round shaped appams.
- Do not crowd , it will puff up well.Cook on both sides till golden brown.Drain in tissue paper.
Serve hot / warm!
- I made small appams to fit in my kadai.
- Adding wheat flour is optional.You can add maida instead.
- After adding baking soda,do not let it rest.Make the appams at once.
- If you want to cut down oil,then make it in paniyaram pan.
Labels: Karthigai Deepam