I was looking for an easy version of fruit cake to try for Christmas and saw this recipe which had no complications and looked very tempting.I have already tried an eggless version of fruit cake
so using eggs was justified here.
Hubby loves christmas cakes so it was win win for me to try it, but didn't want to load the calories so halved the recipe and tried in my small bundt pan.I was not very confident when putting things together but when the cake was getting baked, I was 100% sure that this recipe will be a winner and yes my instincts were right this time :)
I was waiting for the cake to cool down, when I sliced and tasted a piece I was like How did so much taste come from this simple easy recipe...yes it is worth a try.Though it doesn't match the traditional christmas cake, the taste sure comes close to it and I am completely satisfied with it.
Fruit Cake Recipe
Maida - 3/4 cup
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Egg - 1
Unsalted butter - 1/8 cup
Raisins - 1/8 cup
Tutti Frutti - 1/4 cup
Walnut - 1 tbsp chopped
Grated orange zest - 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Water - 1/2 cup
| Baking Time
: 30 mins
:15 small slices
| Recipe Cuisine
For the caramel syrup:
Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Measure tutti frutti,raisins and butter.Butter need not be in room temperature.As you can see I used homemade butter directly from fridge.Transfer them to a pan and add sugar.
- Now add water and heat up the mixture.Let it boil for a minute.Switch off and cool down.
- Beat the egg with a whisk,set aside.Now add baking soda.salt to maida and whisk it well.
- Take the boiled cooled mixture in a mixing bowl, add whisked eggs, mix it once with a whisk.Now add flour and whisk it well without any lumps.
- To prepare caramel : Take sugar in a pan, heat it up.Let sugar caramelise and it will become dark brown in color,at this stage sprinkle few drops of water,mix well and switch off.While sprinkling be a safe distance as it will splutter.
- Take orange zest add it to the batter along with walnuts.Then add caramel syrup.
- Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.Add vanilla essence,cinnamon powder,mix the batter well.Take any mould of your choice.Grease with oil and dust flour.
- Now pour the batter and sprinkle nuts for topping.Bake in preheated oven fpr 30 mins or until the top browns and a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Cool down completely then cut into slices.Serve as a snack!
- I halved the orginal recipe and baked in my small bundt pan so took just 30mins for the cake to bake.The timing may vary depending on the size of the cake and pan.
- You can any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.But do not overload.
- Do not skip caramel syrup as it gives nice color and flavour to the cake.
- You can even add a tbsp of chopped cashews along with walnuts.
- As soon as the caramel is made add it to the batter, do not let it rest it for moretime.
- You can replace 1/2 cup yogurt for replacing an egg.