I was waiting to try Linzer Cookies for this Christmas.I was searching for this type of grooved cookie cutters and finally found them in Ebay( a set of 10 grooved cutters in different shapes and colors)and ordered them.I usually have no luck with online shopping and as expected the cutter got lost in transit and they refunded the amount.
I was so disappointed as I couldn't find it elsewhere and when I was browsing Arife Lamoulde
page luckily saw the same cookie cutter set
there, enquired their stock through wats app and ordered them immediately....what a surprise I got it delivered the next day itself.Yes each of my online purchases have such stories associated with them :) I already used these cutters for cumin biscuits
I referred my alltime favorite baking encyclopedia Joy of Baking and tried these cookies, I halved the recipe made the dough and chilled it overnight.Next day I cut the cookies and baked them.Rich,buttery jam cookies tasted yum that I couldn't resist myself :)
You can even make a simple shortbread
or sugar cookie
dough and make these cookies but this is the traditional way of making linzer cookies and thats the reason I tried the version with eggs but sure to post a eggless version soon.
Linzer Cookies - Ingredients
Maida - 1 cup(130 gms)
Whole almonds - 1/2 cup(75 gms)
Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Lemon Zest - 1/8 tsp
Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup at room temperature(113 gms)
Granulated sugar - 1/2 cup(75 gms)
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
Powdered Sugar - 2 tbsp(just for dusting)
Egg - 1(20 gms)
: 5 mins
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
: 30 cookies
| Recipe Cuisine
: South World Reference
- Soak almonds in hot water for 15mins.Peel off the skin and toast the almonds in a pan till slight brown spots appear here and there.Cool down.
- Take almonds along with a tbsp of granulated sugar in a mixer and grind it to a semi fine powder,Set aside.Scrap the lemon outer skin to take lemon zest.
- In a mixing bowl, take flour,cinnamon powder,salt and lemon zest.Whisk it well.Carefully seperate egg yolk and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl take butter, add sugar to it beat it well using a hand mixer or with a whisk.Beat well till the mixture becomes fluffy atleast for 2mins.
- Add vanilla essence,powdered almonds and eggs.Beat it for 2mins.Finally add flour.
- Beat it till the mixture comes together.Bring together with your hands, wrap in cling film and chill the dough atleast for an hour.
- Now lay butter paper, place the dough and again place another butter paper and roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.Take your cookie cutter and cut out the cookies.Take a small cutter and cut the center as shown in the pic.Repeat it until the entire dough finishes.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.Meanwhile keep the tray in the fridge.Carefully take the cookies and place in a butter paper laid on a cookie tray.Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 mins or until the edges start to brown.Remove from oven and cool in wirerack.
- Cool down the cookies completely.Take any of your favorite jam in a bowl and keep it immersed in hot water just for the jam to melt a little.In a plate take the whole cookies, flip over and place it on a plate.Spoon the jam in the center.
- Now take the cookies with a hole,sieve icing sugar on it.Now take the hole cookies and place it on the cookies with jam.Now your cookies are ready.
Keeps well for about 2 weeks in room temperature itself!
- The cookies spread out slightly while baking so leave enough space between each cookie.
- I always place the cookie tray in fridge till the preheating time, so that the cookies will be firm until baking time.
- Rolling the dough in between 2 butter papers ensures easy rolling without sticking.
- Do not be tempted to overbake just 10-12mins will be just fine.It will be soft when taken out of the oven after cooling it will be crisp.
- Once the jam is sandwiched the cookies become soft, so it is recommended to sandwich them at the time of serving time.
- You can use any of your favourite jam.
- As I took it out from fridge I had to warm it up a little to make it goey so that its easy to spread.
- For eggless version check my sugar cookie / shortbread cookie recipes.
Labels: Christmas Cookies, Christmas Recipes