We usually make idli podi with white whole urad dal and chana dal as main ingredients.This idli podi is my ammamas recipe it uses black urad dal which is a healthy option.Urad Dal(Ulundu) is said to have so many health benefits so including it in your daily diet is very good.I love trying different idli podi recipes and here is the proof :)
Idli Milagai Podi1
Idli Milagai Podi2
MTR Idli Milagai Podi
Black Urad Dal Idli Podi Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Black Urad Dal* - 1 cup
Red Chillies - 1/2 cup(around 15)
Gingelly Oil - 1/4 tsp
Rice - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 5 pearls
Curry Leaves - 1/3 cup loosely packed
Hing(powder) - 1/2 tsp
Whole Pepper - 1 heaped tsp
Rock Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: World
*You can use whole black urad dal too...I had split so used it
- Measure and Get ready with all your ingredients.In a pan add urad dal and red chillies.Dry roast till urad dal turns golden brown and red chillies turn crisp.Transfer to a clean plate.
- Now in the same pan roast curry leaves till it shrinks, transfer to a plate.then roast pepper,Now add rice and roast till it turns slightly golden.
- Now add oil and roast garlic till golden.Now roast hing and transfer all ingredients to a plate.Cool it completely.
- Transfer to a mixer,add rock salt and grind to a semi fine powder.Transfer to a plate and let it cool completely.
Cool down and store in an airtight container.Mix with gingelly oil and serve with hot idlis...bliss!!:)
- Slow roast all the ingredients, do not burn them.
- Roasting red chillies with dal ensures even roasting and will not burn red chillies.My mother always insists not to roast red chillies alone.
- Adjust spice level according to ur preference.
- You can even add a tsp of roasted jeera while grinding for extra flavour.
- It keeps well for 2-3 months in room temperature.
Labels: Homemade Podis, Milagai Podi Recipes