This is the first time I am tasting Sugarcane Juice, yes hard to believe but thats the truth.I have seen sugarcane juice shops at many places but haven't tasted it at all.I had leftover sugarcane that we bought for Pongal festival so thought to make this juice.First I was doubtful whether mixie would grind sugarcane as its too hard but my mother suggested to cube into small pieces and then grind, yes it worked.
It is really tough to peel the skin and cube it,but think of the end product you will not feel the pain ;) I always remember the saying Karumbu thina kooliya(Do u want get paid for eating sugarcane?!)whenever I see karumbu :)
I made this juice
today morning and enjoyed it after breakfast, it was so refreshing and cool! Thinking of ways to use leftover sugarcane, make this juice and enjoy!!
Sugarcane Juice Recipe Recipe
Preparation Time:15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves:2
Sugarcane - 2 cups cubed
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Lemon - 1/2
Water - 1/8 to 1/4 cup
Salt - a tiny pinch(optional)
Recipe Category: Juice | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Peel off the hard sugarcane outer skin, then chop into small cubes.Transfer to a mixer along with ginger.I did this in batches as I used my small mixer jar.
- Add little water and grind it.Now drain the sugarcane extract in a strainer.
- Squeeze it with your hands or press using a spoon.Keep a bowl underneath to hold the juice.Repeat this again if you feel the extract is juicy then grind again and discard.Then proceed grinding with next batch.
- Collect the juice, and then finally strain again so that the small pieces of sugarcane is also strained.Now squeeze half lemon,add salt to the sugarcane juice.Mix well and serve.
Serve chilled and immediately.
- You can even add ice cubes to it while serving or add it while grinding sipping water.
- Adding salt is optional but gives a nice punch to the juice.
- I squeezed it using my hands so that the juice is completely extracted.You can use a spoon too.