We love tandoori dishes a lot and order it whenever we dine out in restaurants.My staple order would be Tandoori Roti /
Butter Nan with any creamy gravy, and mostly it would be PB Masala
for mittus sake and yes am done for the day.I feel incomplete without eating this combo when we go to restaurants :)
I have already tried Tandoori Gobi
and mittu loves it so thought to try Tandoori Baby Corn as baby corn is her most favorite vegetable.I have given even the stove top version but I tell you it doesn't match with the oven taste.The smoky flavour which is the highlight of tandoori dishes will be missed when you do in stove top.
Tandoori Baby Corn Recipe
Preparation Time:15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves:1
Baby Corn - 10
Oil - 2 to 3 tsp
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
For the spice mix
Curd - 3/4 cup
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Tandoori Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Chat Masala powder - 1/8 tsp
Jeera powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp(optional_
Ajwain - 1/8 tsp
Kasoori Methi - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Add a cup of curd to a muslin cloth and hang it for 30mins.Set aside.Clean baby corn.
- Boil water with a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.Add baby corn and parboil it.Just cook for 2 mins.Drain , trim both the edges and slit it into 2 vertically.
- Further slit into 2 , this is optional as my baby corns were fat I did this.Chop into small finger size pieces, collect in a bowl.
- Now take hung curd along with all the ingredients listed under 'for the spice mix'.Mix well with a whisk to form a smooth thickish batter.Now take wire rack, wrap with aluminium foil and grease it with oil.Preheat oven at 200 deg C
- Now each piece of baby corn in the batter,turn over all sides to coat the batter.Now carefully arrange them in the greased sheet.Now bake it in the same temperature for 15 mins and change the mode to grill and grill it for 4mins or until the edges turn slightly black.Brush with oil and turn over the pieces in between to avoid burning,
- As you see the edges are starting to burn, thats the right stage.You can even tawa fry baby corn but sure it will not taste the same as oven roasted ones.
Serve hot with green chutney
, raw onion and lemon wedges.
- For tikka style you can use skewers and pin them alternatively with onion and capsicum.
- I used kashmiri chilli powder for the baked version and normal chilli powder for the stove top version(which I made another day).You can find the color difference.
- Keep an eye after 10mins as timing varies from each oven to oven.Also baby corn cooks faster.
- Parboiling is must , don't over cook.Just have the timing as guidance as each oven cooks differently.
- Make sure to turn over inbetween for even baking.
- Sprinkle a pinch of chat masala powder while serving for extra zing.
- Grill it for the last 5mins to get the smoky flavour.
- If you do not have tandoori masala powder, skip it.
- My baby corns were a bit fat so had to cut into 4 slits.If its small just cut into 2 thats enough.
Labels: Baby Corn Recipes, Tandoori dishes