Focaccia is in my totry list since a longtime.Lavi always insisted me to try Focaccia from the day I bought an oven.I was somehow not comfortable trying breads when I first started baking.Now that I've tamed the yeast, its a breeze to bake breads and I enjoy baking them.One fine weekend morning I tried this focaccia bread for breakfast and it was perfect with soups.But I loved to have it as such itself, it had a crusty top with a soft bread texture inside.
This is perfect with a mild soup or you can have it with some cheese spread if you have it as such.I made it with 100% whole wheat flour and I didn't miss white flour at all as the taste and texture was great.
Whole Wheat Garlic Focaccia Recipe
Preparation Time:30 minutes | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves:2
Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups
Instant Yeast - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Luke warm water - 3/4 to 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: World
For the garlic spread:
Melted Butter - 1 tbsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Oregano - 1/2 tsp
Garlic - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Chilli Flakes - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 1 tsp finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, take flour,sugar,salt,olive oil and yeast - Mix well first.Then add luke warm water.
- Knead it well to a smooth slightly sticky dough. Set aside undisturbed for atleast 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.Punch down and knead it once again.
- Chop garlic finely.In a bowl take melted butter,olive oil along with oregano,chilli flakes,garlic,coriander leaves and required salt.Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oven at 220 deg C for 10mins.Take the dough in the pan you are going to bake, sprinkle little flour.Roll it to 1/4 inch thickness.Spread the garlic butter mixture over it and spread it evenly on all sides.The dough will become little loose after adding butter and oil.
- Make dents with your fingers and bake in preheated oven for about 20-25mins or until you see a golden top.Cool completely,then slice and serve.
Serve warm with soup!
- You can even make it fully with maida, sure will taste great.Else try 50-50 of whole wheat and maida.
- You can lay silver foil / butter paper in the baking tray.I forgot to lay it but the bread demoulded perfectly, as there is lot of greasing it didn't stick at all.
- Garlic pieces were crisp, if you like it to be chewy then add garlic alone finally may just before 10mins of baking completion time.You can even add sliced onion.
- You can add a tbsp of grated cheese for topping.
- While rolling, you can make it a perfect square too.
- The kneaded dough should be sticky when you leave it for rising.May be while rolling you can sprinkle little flour if it sticks.If the kneaded dough is stiff, then your bread will be hard.It should not be like chapathi dough, you should see wrinkles and the dough should stick a little atleast.
- Give cooling time, then slice it.
- Don't over bake just bake till the top turns golden, else the inside bread will become hard.