I saw this Godhumai Vadam in amma old cookbook and it sounded interesting to me.But the recipe was written in just 4 lines, not too detailed so got tips from amma and made this vadam.I should admit it came above my expectations that the vadams got over in a day itself :) I love making vadams though its a long process, additionally mittu is loving homemade vadams so that adds on to my interest as well :)
Godhumai Vadam Recipe
Preparation Time:1 or 2 days | Cooking Time : 115 mins | Makes :2 cups
Punjab Wheat - 1 cup
Green Chillies - 2
Jeera - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Soak wheat with enough water overnight.Next day morning,rinse it well and drain water.
- Transfer to a mixer and add 1 cup water(for the 1 cup of whole wheat) and grind it to a coarse paste.I did this in batches so added water little by little.
- Add little more water and then grind again.Now transfer this to a strainer and press it with a spoon to extract milk.
- Press it well so that the milk gets extracted.I did it in batches.You can even extravct milk for the second time then discard it.Collect the milk in a thick bottomed pan.Add 1 cup of water to it.
- Now heat it up and start cooking.Meanwhile grind green chillies to a coarse mixture, set aside.
- Keep cooking till it becomes slightly thick more like porridge consistency.Now add required salt,jeera and green chillies.
- Mix well and keep cooking till it thickens and is in pourable consistency.Set aside to cool.
- After cooling it thickens even more.Now take a palstic sheet / cloth and start pouring using a small laddle.Slightly spread it with the laddle so that its thin.
- Do this until the entire porridge gets over.Place it under the sun and let it fry for a day.When its dry and still slightly wet peel it off.
- Transfer the vadams to a tray and let it dry for one more day or until crisp.Then store in airtight container.
- Heat oil in a kadai - add few vadams at a time, fry till golden brown.
Serve it with any variety rice of your choice or have it as such :)
- One mistake I did was : I let it to dry till evening and totally forgot it so peeling was a little tough as it became very crisp so had some torn pieces.So its perfect to peel when it has slight wetness.
- In the orginal recipe it was given punjab wheat so used that, you can even try with samba wheat.
- I extracted 2nd milk also got more.
- If the extracted milk is too thick, then you can add 2 cups of water for cooking the porridge.If the milk is too thick then while cooking, it will become thick very soon but not cooked properly.
- You can test fry 1 or 2 vadams and check...After deep frying if its crispy fully then the vadams are done you can store in airtight container.If it sticks in between your teeth and is chewy then it needs more drying.Dry for few more days in hot sun.
- It took me 2 days for the vadams to dry completely, it depends on the amount of sunlight you get.
- You can use a plain white cloth or plastic sheet for drying the vadams.
- If you are drying it in terrace then it will get dried in a day itself.
- Oil should be hot, test one vadam if it comes up(raises) immediately after its dropped then its the right heat you need.
- As I am doing it for the first time I made only little not in bulk.
Labels: vadam recipes