Last week my uncle and aunt had come.I wanted to bake a cake for my brother and send it through them for his birthday, opened the fridge only to know that there was no butter.I had no energy to walk all the way to go buy butter as gugu was about to wake up.So immediately I remembered this cake that I saw in Divyas space
.I have already baked this cake two times before so that set up my confidence level high.
After baking the vanilla cupcakes
for sending to mittus school for sharing day, I set out to bake this one.Last time when I poured the batter into a single pan, the cake had a high rise which was almost overflowing so this time made as 2 cakes, sent 1 to my brother and kept the 2nd one for us.It was a hectic sunday but still enjoyed it.
The cake comes out so soft and spongy perfect for birthday cakes.As we are not fond of icing I left it plain.The cake slices comes out clean, I was in a hurry to click so sliced it even before the cake cooled completely.
Hot Milk Sponge Cake Recipe
Preparation Time:15 mins | Baking Time : 15 mins | Makes:two 8 inch cakes Recipe Category: Cakes | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Eggs - 3(at room temperature)
Sugar - 1 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Heat milk in a sauce pan till it bubbles up, switch off and set aside.Ina mixing bowl add eggs and start beating.I used my electric beater.
- Beat in high speed until thick,creamy and pale in colour.Now add sugar and start beating again.Add in intervals.
- Keep beating until sugar gets dissolved.In another bowl sift flour,baking powder and salt.Say hi to my new flour sifter, had been planning to buy one since I started baking and finally here I am.
- Add flour mixture, It became so thick so I switched to a whisk which is easy.Whisk it well so that there are no lumps.
- By now the milk must have cooled down a bit, add it and whisk it well until you see a creamy flowing batter without lumps.Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.
- Grease a baking pan with oil,flour the surface.I used two 8 inch pans.Pour into the pans and bake in preheated oven for 30mins or until the tops turns golden.Check with a tooth pick, insert it in the middle of the cake, if it come out clean then the cake is done else bake for few more mins.
- Once baked cool down completely, run a knife over the edges and invert.
Serve as a snack!
- If you make a single cake you will get a tall cake, you can slice it and apply any icing you want.
- The cake rises well so don't fill more than 3/4th if baking in a single pan else it will overflow while baking.