This Ragi Koozh can be started once the baby starts 5th month
.Traditionally Ragi is the first millet recommended to be introduced to babies.This ragi milk porridge helps developing babies digestive system before the baby starts with proper solids like idli,rice etc.
I usually feed this koozh with karupatti(palm sugar) syrup or sometimes jaggery syrup.I have a separate post coming up for sweetners that can be introduced to babies.
I had many requests to post ragi koozh since the day I started Baby Food Series,I clicked the pictures long back but it took sometime for me to edit the pictures and finally I am here with the post.
Check other baby food recipes
But remember mothers feed is the best and its always good to start with other food only after the baby finishes 6 months.This 4-5 months baby food recipes will help those who are not able to breast feed due to personal / medical conditions.Always consult your paediatrician before introducing any new food.
Ragi Koozh Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes: 2 feeds
Ragi - 2 tbsp
Water - as needed
Ghee - 1/4 tsp
Jaggery Syrup - 1 tsp(optional)
Recipe Category: Baby Food | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
*NOTE:Please adjust the quantity as per your baby needs.
- Take ragi, rinse it well and soak it overnight.Rinse again and drain water.Take it in a mixer jar.
- First give a quick blend 2-3 times then add water and pulse it again.
- Take a muslin cloth, transfer and extract milk.Squeeze the cloth till milk is extracted well.The milk will be thick.
- You can add little more water and pulse it again ,you will get thin milk.You can even use a strainer if you don't have cloth.Press it with a spoon and extract milk.
- If you find the milk too thick then add little water and then cook.Transfer the extracted milk to a pan and heat it up.Keep mixing with a laddle else it will form lumps if you leave it unattended.It will slowly get thick as you can see.
- The milk will thicken,at this stage add ghee and cook for few more mins.If you are adding any sweetner add it at this stage.
- Cook for few more mins till its thick as shown.Cook in low flame.
- When it gets thick, it will leave the sides of the pan more like pudding consistency,as shown below, switch off.As it cool down it may bet more thicker.Let it cool for few mins, then feed.
- Ragi is heat generating food so add ghee and feed more water.
- Also ragi might constipate so adding ghee helps to avoid constipation.
- Add more water if the extracted milk is thick.The milk extracted should be watery.
- Cook in low flame, make sure it gets cooked well.
- This porridge gets thick after cooling down so switch off accordingly.
- You can skip jaggery and feed it as such too.
Labels: 4-5 months baby food recipes, Baby Food Recipes, Baby Porridge Recipes