Mittu loves peanut butter so I started to try it at home.It is not only cheap, its more healthier than store bought ones and the best part is that you can customize it as per your liking.There are 2 varieties of peanut butter available here one is the creamy one and other is the crunchy one, the main difference is in their names itself.Mittu likes the creamy one so I usually make it that way but its upto your liking and preference.
We use peanut butter for bread
,chapathi or sometimes eat as such too.
Homemade Creamy Peanut Butter -
This version is with honey and sugar but nowadays I am using powdered jaggery / jaggery syrup for making peanut butter.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Makes : 1 and 1/2 cups
Whole Peanuts(with skin) - 2 cups
Powdered Jaggery - 2 tbsp
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Recipe Category: Dip | Recipe Cuisine: World
- Take peanuts in a pan, roast until browned and the skin starts to easily peel off.Cool down and then remove the skin.You can take the peanuts in your palm,rub it then blow away the skin.
- Now remove the center white part and discard it(this step is purely optional but I recommend if you are going to give this peanut butter for kids), amma says its pitham not sure of what its called in english.
- Now take the peanuts in a blender, powder it.
- Keep grinding it when it starts to come together, add powdered jaggery and salt.
- Then grind again, you can see the oil releasing and it will become sticky.At this stage add half of the oil you have.
- Keep grinding, then add remaining oil and grind it again.
- Keep grinding it, you can see the texture change by now it should have got look like flowing paste.Transfer to airtight container and store.
Store in fridge after 2 days.
- The texture is purely your choice, if you want it crunchy then grind less.I wanted smooth peanut butter so grinded accordingly.
- Add odourless cooking oil.
- I have tried with jaggery syrup and honey too.
- If you are using jaggery as such then use cleaned jaggery.
- You can even use peanuts with skin but that will give a slightly bitter taste.
- I used my mixer jar, you can use your food processor too.
- If you want chunk peanut butter then reserve a handful of peanuts and add at the final stage, give a quick pulse so that the peanut pieces come here and there while eating.
Labels: Dips and Chutneys