This Phool Makhana gravy is my recent try, just made a simple makhni sauce and added phool makhana to it and this gravy turned out so good if I may say so myself :).We all love makhana
, I usually roast and keep as mittu loves to snack it.So whenever I see it in Nilgiris, I buy a pack of it, it usually comes in a huge pack so I roast and keep half of it for snacking and the rest to try such new recipes to blog!
Phool Makhana Gravy Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 2
Phool Makhana - 2 cups
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Fresh Cream - 1 tbsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp chopped finely
Oil - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Water - 3/4 cup
Salt- to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Big Onion - 1 medium sized chopped lengthwise
Tomato -2 medium sized chopped roughly
Cashews - 5 whole
Dry Red Chillies -2
Pepper Corns - 1/4 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dry roast onion and tomato until mushy, saute till raw smell leaves and tomatoes turn mushy.Cool down and transfer to a mixer jar along with cashews,red chillies,fennel seeds,pepper corns.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.Heat a tsp of ghee roast the makhana until crisp,Set aside.Heat oil add jeera let it crackle.
- Add ginger garlic paste saute for 2mins, then add onion tomato paste.Cook for 5mins in low flame.
- Add red chilli,coriander and garam masala powders,give a quick mix and keep cooking for few mins till it becomes thick.Add required salt.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and cook until oil seperates, it will take atleast 7-10mins.Cook in low flame.
- Add roasted makhana and cook for 2mins then add fresh cream.
- Give a quick mix.Switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with phulka or pulao.
- Makhana when soaked becomes soft, so resting time of 30mins would be good.If you give more resting time it will become very soft and soggy too.
- Adding cream gives a creamy and rich flavour.I used homemade fresh cream.
- The consistency should be flowing and creamy.Adjust the consistency of the gravy according to your preference.
Labels: Gravies for Rotis, phool makhana recipes