Thinai Pongal is a very healthy and filling breakfast idea.When I posted this for kids breakfast idea
, I had few readers asking for the recipe so thought to make a separate post for it.I usually make pongal with varagu
but these days use thinai too as its a wining combination.Thinai usually takes time to cook and it took me a while to get the hang of water ratio for cooking thinai.
Check out more millet recipes
that I've already posted.
Thinai Pongal Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Thinai Arisi - 1/2 cup
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup
Water - 3 cups
Cashews - 5 whole
Ghee - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp (whole or crushed roughly)
Jeera - 1/2 tsp (whole or crushed roughly)
Curry Leaves - few
Green Chillies - 1
Ginger - 1/2 tsp chopped finely
Hing - 1/8 tsp
- Dry roast moong dal till golden brown.Transfer to pressure cooker, then Rinse the millet well,drain water and add it to cooker.
- Add water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in medium flame.Switch off.
- Once pressure releases, mash up rice and dal well with a laddle.It will look goey at this stage but will start to thicken with time.Now get ready with the tempering items...Heat oil in a pan - add the items listed under ' temper' let it splutter.
- Add the tempered items to the pongal,add required salt mix well.Fry cashews in ghee till golden brown.
- Add fried cashews to the pongal.Give a quick stir , I added little more salt as it was too less when I tasted it .
Serve hot with a drizzle of ghee on top along with chutney and sambar.
- I recommend serving hot / warm else it will become dry as with any pongal.
- Drizzle ghee, garnish with cashews while serving to give the pongal a more appealing look :)
- If you don't like whole pepper corns then crush it coarsely and then add it.
Labels: Millet Recipes, Thinai Recipes