Payaru thoran or Cherupayar Thoran as they call it in Kerala is a simple and flavourful stir fry made with vegetables like green gram,cabbage
,beetroot etc.I tried green gram thoran as sidedish for kanji
, which was a great combo.I am sure I'm going to repeat the menu often when there is lunch only for me and amma because hubby is not fond of all these porridges so we enjoyed this menu for lunch :)
Payaru Thoran Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Green Gram - 1/2 cup
Small Onion - 5 sliced
Garlic - 3 sliced
Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Green Chilli - 1 slitted
Turmeric powder - a tiny pinch
Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Coconut Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a small sprig
- Soak green gram overnight.Rinse it well and then cook in pan with enough water and little salt.When it becomes soft but not mushy,switch off.Id there is excess water, drain it.If there is only little then no need to drain it.Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan - add the items listed under 'to temper', let it splutter.Add small onion,garlic,green chilli,saute till it turns transparent.
- Add turmeric powder,pepper powder and salt.We have already added salt with green gram so adjust and accordingly.Mix well then add coconut.
- Saute for 2 mins then add cooked green gram.
- Toss it well,cook covered for 2mins.Fluff it up and switch it off.
Serve hot / warm with rice and sambar or with any variety rice.
- Adding coconut oil gives a great flavour to the curry.
- You can even add a pinch of red chilli powder.
Labels: Kerala Special, Onam Sadhya Menu