Check out other Onam Sadya Dishes
Pineapple Pulissery is very popular among the pulissery recipes as pulissery can be made with a variety of veggies / fruits like pineapple, yam, vazhakka,mango etc.Pulissery is a traditional kerala side dish served in Onam Sadya.
Amma is fond of pineapple based curries so I made it for her andas I expected she loved it so much.yayy mission accomplished.Last year I posted mambazha pulissery
so this year its the popular Pineapple Pulissery.
Pineapple Puliserry Recipe
Preparation Time:10 minutes | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves: 2
Pineapple - 1 cup chopped
Thick Curd - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Small Onion - 3 sliced
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Water - around 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
To grind to a paste:
Fresh Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
Green Chilli - 1 chopped roughly
Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 1 small
Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli - 2 small
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
- Clean pineapple trim the edges, scrap the sides and cut into half.Take one half, slice them thin.
- Chop pineapple into small cubes.Take it in a pan along with salt,turmeric powder,red chilli powder and 1 cup water.
- Cook covered in the pan until they are slightly soft but not too mushy.Set aside.Remember they will be cooking again in coconut mixture so half cook it thats enough.
- In a mixer jar add the ingredients listed under 'to grind',ad little water and grind it to a smooth paste.Now add this coconut mixture to cooked pineapple.
- Cook for few mins until raw smell leaves may be for 3-5mins.
- Give a pulse to the curd to make it smooth and creamy, you can just whisk it too.Now add this pineapple coconut mixture.
- Bring it a boil in sim or when it starts to boil switch off else there are chances for curdling.Now in a tadka pan heat oil, add onions and fry until brown.Set aside.
- In the same pan add the items listed under ' to temper' let it splutter.Add the fried onions and tadka to the curry.Mix well.
Garnish with fried onions and Serve chilled as a sidedish.
- The consistency would be semi thick.The texture is purely based on the coconut mixture, if you want a slightly grainy texture then grind coconut mixture little coarse like I did for mambazha pulissery else grind it smooth like here.
- Hand whisking is enough for curd, but blending gives a more smooth and creaminess so I tried it that way for this pineapple pulissery.
- Beating the curd is a must before adding to the curry.If you are scared about curdling switch off cool down a bit then add curd and add the tempering.
- Adding coconut oil gives nice flavour to the curry so don't skip it.
Labels: Kerala Special, Onam Sadhya Menu, Puliserry Recipes