Rabri is sweet thickened milk with layers of cream or malai.Rabri or Rabdi is usually topped up with nuts and flavoured with rose essence and saffron.It can be prepared easily at home but little more effort of stirring often to get the rich and creamy dessert.It tastes great as such or even as sides for malpua
etc.I made this rabdi to accompany malpua so clicked it for a separate post too.I love chilled rabri, how do you like your rabdi to be?
Now lets get on to rabdi recipe.
Check out other rabri based desserts :
Preparation Time:15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes:1 small cup
Milk - 2 cups(1/2 litre)
Saffron - 6 strands
Rose Water -2 drops
Pistachios - 1 tbsp chopped
Almonds - 1 tbsp chopped
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Add milk to sauce pan.Boil milk then simmer stirring occasionally.
- Scrap the sides and keep mixing the malai.Add sugar and simmer for few mins, thick malai will start to form.Scrap the sides,the color will change to ivory after simmering with sugar.
- Now add saffron strands and cook for few more mins until its thick and creamy.
- Add pistachios(reserve some for garnish),then add rose essence.
- Finally add chopped almonds, mix well and switch off.The rabri will thicken when it cools down, so switch off accordingly.Chill it for an hour or so.
- I used cows milk.
- If you use full fat milk,it will get thicken soon.
- Use thick bottomed pan and keep stirring to avoid burning at the bottom.I used my steel thick bottomed sauce pan.
- You can even add dry fruits of your choice.
- You can even fry the nuts in ghee and add it.