Motichoor Ladoo is one of my all time favorite sweets.It has tiny boondis which is very cute to see, I went through many recipes to replicate motichoor ladoo as in sweet shops and found this one
to be unique to try.The motichoor ladoo recipe called for coarse besan and the method of making boondis was slightly different from the regular ones which yields tiny boondis.
I tried these ladoos yesterday, though my boondis were tiny when compared to boondi ladoo
I cannot claim it as very tiny as in sweet shops but I am completely satisfied with the taste so that justifies this post right?! :) I combined both the methods and finally here is the version of motichoor ladoo recipe from my kitchen :) And this motichoor ladoo recipe is the closure for this Diwali 2016!
Wishing you all a very Happy Diwali!!
Don't worry if you dont get tiny boondis you can make usual boondis and make motichoor ladoo...You are not going to miss anything big except for the looks so go ahead making these yummies! :)
The ladoos looked gorgeous that I couldn't keep my camera at all...that with white bg :)
Motichoor Ladoo Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes : 1 cup
Besan Flour - 1 cup(coarse variety)
Food Color - few drops
Melted Ghee - 1 tsp
Melon seeds -1 heaped tsp
Oil - to deep fry
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To make the sugar syrup:
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Rose Essence - 2 drops
Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp
Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp
- In a mixing bowl take besan flour, it should be coarse.Now add ghee to it.
- Now add 2 drops of orange food color.Use a whisk to mix it well.Now add little water.
- Add water little by little to form a thick paste,then add little more water.
- And little more food color, the batter should be thinner than dosa batter.It should be freely flowing.
- Now take your boondi laddle..This is the setup - Heat a kadai with oil,Keep a taller(than the kadai) box without touching the kadai.Place a folded kitchen towel on the box,then keep the boondi laddle rest over it.I have just demonstrated the set up.Once the oil is hot, pour the batter all over just half or 1 laddle should be good in one batch.Then tap on the cloth so that the batter falls in a sprinkled manner in the oil giving tiny boondis.
- Do not cook for moretime, when shh sound ceases take it out and drain in tissue paper.Now again,repeat the process until the entire batter finishes.Wip of the laddle with a cloth every now and then,
- Once all the boondis are fried, take a tbsp of the boondi and just pulse it in mixie once or twice(This step is purely optional),Set aside.Take sugar in a sauce pan.
- Add water to it and heat it up.Heat it up until sugar dissolves stirring often.
- Once it reaches one string consistency, take it out from the flame.Now add cardamom powder,rose essence.
- And few drops of orange food color.Finally add lemon juice.
- Transfer the cooked boondis to the pan containing sugar syrup,add melon seeds.Mix well with a laddle.Keep covered and let it sit for 10mins atleast for all the syrup to be absorbed.
- Open fluff it up,mix it well then start shaping the ladoos.Squeeze, hold tight and make ladoos. Arrange it in a plate,cool down then store.
Serve with tea!
- Try this tapping method and use coarse besan to get perfect tiny boondis.
- If you are not getting tiny boondis just make regular boondis and grind half of the boondis after step 11 then make ladoos.
- You can add any nuts of your choice,but traditionally they use melon seeds.
- Try tapping method if that doesnt work then switch over to regular method of boondi making.
- Tiny boondis absorb more oil so there is nothing to miss except the looks,so just make regular boondis,grind a part of it and shape ladoos.
- If your boondis are very tiny,you may need a wire mesh ladle to drain after frying.
- Regulate flame and cook, do not cook in high flame.
- While tapping, be careful and make sure not to tap on the frying kadai.
- While pouring over the laddle,pour just a layer not more than that, else the boondis will stick together.
- Don't worry if it sticks together just grind it later to get coarse boondis.
- Even after the sugar syrup is added if you feel the boondi mixture is too dry sprinkle little hot water,then try to shape.
- Do not try to shape as soon as the boondis are added to the syrup.Give 10mins atleast resting time for the boondis to absorb the syrup.
Labels: Diwali 2016, Diwali Special, Diwali Sweets, diwali sweets recipes