Puzhungal Arisi Murukku is an age old traditional method of making murukku.I always wanted to try this method of making murukku using wet batter but didn't have any proper recipe.Then last week when I was casually saying this to my maid,she got me this recipe from her sister and I tried it the very next day itself.I never thought grinding method gives such crispy and light murukkus,we all loved it so much.It had a great flavour too.I grinded the batter when I soaked for idli dosa batter so it was easy for me to wash the grinder too :)
I am so in love with my pithalai murukku press that I got last year and am putting it to good use.The screw type press is very easy to use and requires no major pressure as in other murukku press I have.
Puzhungal Arisi Murukku Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes : 20 murukkus
Parboiled Rice - 1 cup
Roasted Gram dal - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1 tbsp(in room temperature)
Dry Red Chillies - 2
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Ajwain - 1/2 tsp
Salt - for taste
Oil - for deep frying
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Measure 1 cup parboiled rice,rinse it well drain water,Then soak it in water till immersing level for atleast 2 hrs.Then grind it in wet grinder along with 2 red chillies.
- Add very little water as possible and grind atleast for 30mins to get a smooth thick batter like this.
- Take fried gram dal in a mixer jar and grind it to a fine powder.Sieve it in a fine siever.
- Discard the coarse particles.In a wide mixing bowl - add rice batter along with butter,salt,jeera,ajwain and fried gram dal powder.
- Mix well to form a smooth nonsticky dough,mine was too dry so sprinkled little water to get a smooth dough consistency.
- Take a portion, Grease the murukku press and use the murukku press(I used the thenkuzhal mould).Fill the dough till 3.4th of the murukku press.
- Start pressing..I usually press in 2 laddles and flip it in oil.Heat oil , check by adding a pinch of dough if it raises immediately with a shh sound then the oil is ready.
- Now carefully flip over the prepared murukkus and deep fry till golden.Fry in batches.Repeat the process until the entire dough finishes.Drain in tissue paper and store it.
Serve with tea.
- Do not overcook, it should golden brown.
- Regulate flame and cook, do not cook in high flame.
- I used my thenkuzhal press to get this shape.
- If you are making in larger quantity keep the dough closed to avoid from drying.
- If the lines break then butter is more so add a little more rice flour mix then press.
- If you have grinded the batter little loose add 1-2 tbsp rice flour along with fried gram dal powder to get the desired dough consistency.
- If the dough is too dry sprinkle little water.
Labels: murukku recipes