Seeni Sev is my favorite.I love all sweet recipes especially when sweet murukku.Kovilpatti and Sattur are famous for this cheeni sev / seeni sev apart from kadala mittai. I don't really remember when I tasted seeni sev first but I loved it like anything that I finished half of it myself.As there are no sweet lovers at home except me, I knew I will end up eating everything so made only very little but to my surprise this little of girl of mine who is not fond any murukku tasted it and liked it.
I was searching for seeni sev recipe,finally found it here
Seeni Sev Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes : 1 cup
Besan Flour - 1/2 cup
Rice Flour(Idiyappam Flour) - 1/8 cup
Salt - to taste
Hot Oil -1/2 tbsp
Oil - to deep fry
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To make sugar syrup:
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp
Dry Ginger powder - a pinch
- In a mixing bowl - measure and add besan flour, rice flour along with required salt.Add hot oil to it.
- Mix it well with your hands,then add water little by little.
- Gather together to form a nonsticky dough like this.Shape it into a log and keep it ready.Fix your thenkuzhal murukku mould.
- Now fill the murukku press with the dough,in parallel heat oil.When oil is hot,drop a pinch of batter to check it comes up immediately, then oil is at the correct temperature.Squeeze in circular motion,do not crowd,just 2 layers is enough.
- Fry till golden and until shh sound ceases.Drain in tissue paper.Once it cools down,break it and set aside.
- Take sugar in a pan,add water to it.Heat it up.
- Add cardamom and dry grinder powder,keep cooking.Sugar will first dissolve then start to thicken up.
- Keep a small plate of water and keep checking.When you add few drops to the plate first the syrup will get dissolved after sometime it will stand still in water without dissolving and try to gather and form a ball,it will form a little loose ball,this is the right consistency we want.
- Switch off.Now add the broken sev and toss it well.
- Toss it for a minute and leave it undisturbed,in few mins sugar will be coated so beautifully.Cool down then store in airtight container.
- Do not overcook, it should golden.
- Regulate flame and cook, do not cook in high flame.
- I used my thenkuzhal press to get this shape.
- If you are making in larger quantity keep the dough closed to avoid from drying.
- If the dough is too dry sprinkle little water.
- Once you reach the right sugar syrup consistency,switch off then toss else it will pass onto next stage and will harden faster, this will not give even coating.
Labels: Diwali 2016, Diwali Special, diwali sweets recipes