Usually we make Sprouted Ragi Powder by sprouting ragi,drying,roasting then grinding to a fine powder like how we do for sathu maavu powder
.But this age old method of making sprouted ragi powder
is made from extracted ragi milk which is very good for babies.
This can be started after 6 months.I will post the porridge recipe tomorrow.
Check other baby food recipes
But remember mothers feed is the best and its always good to start with other food only after the baby finishes 6 months.This 4-5 months baby food recipes will help those who are not able to breast feed due to personal / medical conditions.Always consult your paediatrician before introducing any new food.
Homemade Sprouted Ragi Milk Powder for Babies - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes: 2 feeds
Whole Ragi - 1 cup
Water - as needed
Recipe Category: Baby Food | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Soak ragi overnight,rinse it well then drain water and transfer to hot box set aside undisturbed for 8 hrsmyou will see small sprouts coming out.
- Now transfer this mixture to a mixer jar and grind it and extract thick milk,use a strainer to extract milk.Then again add little more water and extract milk.
- I always extract milk twice.Now trasnfer the extracted milk to a bowl and keep it undisturbed for 15mins.You can see clear water floating on top.Slowly drain the clear water alone.Then you will be left out with oly thick milk
- Now pour the thick ragi milk to a flat bottomed wide tray.Let it dry under the sun for atleast 2 days until uit becomes dry completely and starts to show splits.I broke them roughly.
- Transfer the broken pieces to a mixer jar and grind it to a fine powder.Roast the powder for 3-5mins just until the heat gets onto the flour.
Cool down and then store.
- You can stop with step1 ,spread sprouted ragi in a plate,dry it completely then give to mill for grinding.
- Extract milk twice to get a semi thick milk.
- If you doing in bulk and storing roasting is must.Just roast for few mins thats enough.
- This keeps well for 2-3 months, but do the roasting.
- Use a clean dry spoon for scooping.No need to sieve as the powder will be very fine.
Labels: Instant Mixes for Babies