Sura Puttu is a very popular dish made with Shark Fish which is called Sura Meen in Tamil.Fish Puttu is my favorite, usually amma makes puttu only when we get Sura meen but this puttu can be made even with Salmon,King fish etc. Everytime amma makes sura puttu she will ask me to click it but somehow I don't bother to click even after knowing the demand for nonveg recipes here from friends and readers..Somehow I am still not confident enough to cook nonveg dishes, as you all know mittu eats only fish fry and hubby is also not fond of nonveg so I don't get that push to cook and click too.Now let me see if gugu changes my mind ;)
Even kids and elders can eat this as you need not worry about biting into bones, also this is not at all spicy.
I had this after mittus delivery and now even after gugus delivery too.Amma made this Sura Puttu often as it is said to increase lactation.So on one such day that once in a blue moon day happenned. I asked amma to clean and give the fish then I cooked this sura puttu for the first time and amma approved it to be great so posting it here .
Sura Puttu Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 2
Sura Fish - 4 big pieces(1/4 kg)
Onion - 1/4 cup finely chopped
Garlic - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Coconut - 2 tbsp grated
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder - 3/4 tsp
Roasted Jeera powder - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - just for garnish
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Green Chilli - 1 finely chopped
- Rinse the fish well and clean it.Then add in salt turmeric powder and give it a rinse.Now cook in a open kadai with enough water,a pinch of turmeric powder and required salt.You can see the color and texture change.
- Once its cooked, peel off the skin and discard it, discard the center bone too,Now shred the cooked flesh and set aside.In a kadai - heat oil add mustard seeds let it splutter,then add curry leaves and green chillies saute for a minute.
- Then add garlic and onion,saute till slightly golden then add cooked fish.
- Add turmeric powder,red chilli powder and keep sauting in low flame until there is no moisture.
- Once you see the fish has blended well with the masalas and when it becomes dry, add coconut and roasted jeera powder.
- Keep sauteing for few more mins until its slightly browned.Garnish with coriander leaves,give a quick toss and switch off.
Serve with rice.
- I have seen amma grinding fresh jeera so I understand its important to use freshly ground jeera for great flavour as she insists to do so.I used my mortar and pestle to get the job done.
- Just crush it coarsely thats enough.
- Onion and garlic adds flavour to this puttu so add lots.
- Saute in medium low flame so that it gets roasted slowly and evenly.
- I recommend using small onion for this recipe.I used a combination of both small and big onion.
Labels: Fish Recipes, lactation recipes