This post is a long pending one, though I clicked few months back it took me so long to post it without any valid reasons...ok lazy me ;) Many of my friends and readers kept asking me to post about healthy sweetners after mentioning it in my porridge recipe posts.Though it is advised and recommended to include salt and any sweetner only after 1 yr, if the baby fuses too much I feel its ok to start with healthy sweetners after 7 to 8 months.So if you wish you can start these sweetners after the babys first birthday.You can mix these sweetners for any baby porridges
Jaggery is Vellam in tamil, Palm Jaggery is Karupatti in tamil and Palm Sugar Candy is Panakarkandu in tamil incase if you want the translations.
Our ancestors had the custom of feeding sugar water soon after the baby's birth, though doctors don't allow it these days, amma insisted to give a drop of sakkara thani(sugar water) as a custom for both mittu and gugu and I was ok with it too.
I usually make jaggery and palm jaggery syrup in bulk and store in fridge atleast for 2 weeks as I use it in my daily cooking too.If you get clean organic palm sugar candy you can powder it else make a syrup by straining it like we do for jaggery.
Check other baby food recipes
Check other porridge recipes
But remember mothers feed is the best and its always good to start with other food only after the baby finishes 6 months.Always consult your paediatrician before introducing any new food.
Palm Sugar Candy - Panakarkandu
Sweetners for Baby Food - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes: 2 feeds
Jaggery - as needed
Palm Jaggery - as needed
Palm Sugar Candy - as needed
Water - as needed to immerse
Recipe Category: Baby Food | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Measure jaggery and add it in a pan, add water and dissolve it well.
- Heat it up for 2mins just for the jaggery to get dissolved.Strain to remove impurities.Cool down then refrigerate.
- Crush palm jaggery,I use my hand mortar and pestle.Transfer crushed palm jaggery to a pan.
- Add water till immersing level.Crush it well using a potato masher.
- Heat it up and cook for few mins until the jaggery melts completely.Strain to remove impurities.
- Store the syrup,cool down then refrigerate.Now take palm sugar candy in dry mixer,powder it and then store.
Refrigerate the syrups, use it as and when needed.You can keep the palm sugar candy powder in room temperature itself.
Palm Jaggery - Karupatti or Panai Vellam
- You can refrigerate the syrup.
- Cook hte syrup until it becomes little thick so that it keeps well for more days.It is enough if its little thinner than honey.
- If you get clean organic variety of palm sugar candy you can powder it else make a syrup by straining it like we do for jaggery syrup.
Labels: 8-10 months baby food recipes, Baby Food Recipes, Baby Porridge Recipes