This is my trusted recipe for a basic whole wheat bread which uses simple ingredients which we usually have in our kitchen.When I posted this atta bread recipe
,many of my friends and readers also asked for a everyday bread recipe and I stumbled upon this recipe,
since then this is my favorite and my family loves it too.I have been baking this bread at least once a month and finally clicked it yesterday to post it here. Here is a simple easy whole wheat bread recipe with detailed step by step explanations.
The texture of the bread is so good, its very chewy and soft perfect to dip in soups.I loved homemade bread toast with soups
Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
Preparation Time:2 hrs | Cooking Time : 45 mins | Makes:1 loaf
Whole wheat flour - 2 and 1/2 cups
Cooking Oil - 4 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Instant yeast - 1 and 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Water - 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup
Recipe Category: Bread | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- In a bowl add sugar then add 1/2 cup warm water, mix well until sugar completely dissolves.
- Then add yeast set aside undisturbed for 10mins, when its frothy(this ensures yeast is active and ready to go), add oil and mix it up.
- Mix well and set aside.In a mixing bowl add wheat flour then add required salt.
- Whisk it well, then add yeast solution then add 1/2 cup water.
- Gather and knead it to a dough.Punch down and knead it until it forms a soft dough.
- It should be soft and smooth.Brush it with oil,cling wrap it and set to rise for 1 hour in a warm place or until it get doubled.
- Punch down and knead it once.Now shape it into a log,seam the edges.You can roll it like how I've shown here.
- Transfer to a loaf pan brush it oil and let it rise for 45 min to 1 hr.Preheat the oven at 200 deg C for 10mins.
- Brush with top of bread with milk.
- I placed the pan in lower rack.Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg C for 20-25mins or until the top turns golden.Mine got done in 25mins.Once baked remove the pan and let it cool for 15mins then carefully invert and let it to cool down completely atleast for 1hr.If you don't want the crust on top, use a wet cloth to cover and keep aside for few mins.
Use serrated knife to slice.Slice and serve.Serve as bread toast / plain bread.
- Slice only after cooling down completely.
- The rising time depends totally on the yeast and your area climatic conditions.Keep it in a warm place to rise.
- Do not invert when the pan is still hot, let it to cool for atleast 15mins before you invert.
- Always use serrated knife to get neat slices.
Labels: homemade bread recipes, whole wheat bread