Chola Paniyaram is Kongunadu special recipe.Cholam is also called Sorghum or Jowar.I first saw this Chola Paniyaram in a millet hotel menu board which was outside the shop..I haven't visited the hotel yet, but usually see the menu board whenever I pass by that hotel.So that made google about this chola paniyaram and later found that its kongunad special.I got this recipe from my neighbors word of mouth, so tried it the next day itself.
After trying chola dosai
,had a cup of sorghum so used it up to try this paniyaram.
Chola Paniyaram Recipe
Preparation Time:20 mins | Cooking Time : 5 mins / dosa | Makes:7 dosas
Cholam - 1 cup
Urad Dal - 1/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1 tsp + to fry
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Split Urad dal - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 2 cut chopped finely
Curry leaves - 1 tbsp chopped finely
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Onion - 1 large finely chopped
Salt to taste
Water - 3/4 to 1 cup
- Measure cholam,add it to a mixing bowl with enough water to immerse it fully.Soak for atleast 6 hrs.Now measure urad dal and fenugreek seeds.
- Add water to it.Soak it for 2 hrs .Now rinse dal and cholam seperately,drain water and Set aside.
- First take urad dal in a mixer jar,add water little by little and grind it a fine paste.
- It should be very smooth,now transfer it to a container.Now in the same mixer jar add cholam.
- Add water little by little to grind as smooth as possible, it will take time so be patient, add water and keep grinding.Now transfer it to the same container.
- Now add salt, mix well .Keep covered and let it to ferment atleast for a day.
- See it is fermented well, now give a nice mix.You can use this batter for idli dosa too.
- Add little water if its too thick.Now in a kadai - heat oil add items listed under 'to temper'.Let it splutter.
- Add chopped onion,salt and saute well till onions become soft.
- Now add the tempering to the batter.Mix well.
- Heat paniyaram pan,add little oil in each hole, pour the batter and cook covered.When you see the top being cooked, flip to other side.Cook till golden brown.
Serve hot with chutney of your choice.
- The batter should be little runny.
- Soak sorghum for more hours else it will tough to grind.
- You can even ad 1/4 cup idli rice.soak it along with urad dal if doing so.
- You can use small onion for great flavour.
Labels: cholam recipes, Millet Recipes, sorghum recipes