I saw this Panai Olai Kozhukattai in an old magazine last year but it was only after Karthigai Deepam I saw the recipe so left it off.I didn't note down the recipe but vaguely remembered the ingredients alone so just tried this kozhukattai with my own measures and the kozhukattais were just too good to resist.
Last month I was casually mentioning about this Kozhukatai to hubby and asked if he can buy me the panai olai and then forgot about it.One fine day he brought me few palm leaves, yayyy I tried these kozhukattais the very next day itself as I always have palm jaggery in stock.These kozhukattai tasted so good with the flavour of palm leaf and palm jaggery that I loved it so much.
Panai Olai Kozhukattai / Palm Leaf Kozhukattai ready to taste :)
Panai Olai Kozhukattai Recipe Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Makes : 15 small kozhukatais
Rice Flour - 1 and 1/2 cups
Palm Jaggery - 3/4 cup tightly packed
Green Moong Dal - 2 tbsp
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Crush palm jaggery,I used my hand mortar and pestle.Measure and transfer crushed palm jaggery to a pan.
- Add water till immersing level.Crush it well using a potato masher.
- Heat it up and cook for few mins until the jaggery melts completely.Strain to remove impurities.
- Wash the palm leaves,cut the center protion about 4 to 5 inches long and set aside.Dry roast green gram dal till slightly browned.
- Transfer to a mixer and grind to a coarse mixture.Now in a bowl add rice flour,green gram mixture,grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Mix it well, I transferrred it to a wider bowl.Then add palm jaggery syrup little by little.
- Keep mixing and the syrup fully, mix well.If it is still dry, sprinkle little water to form a dough like this, not too dry and not too goey.
- Gather it together to form a dough.Open the palm leaf,grease it with oil,now stuff it with the dough legthwise.
- Tie it with a thread, I used palm leaf threads itself.Finish all the dough like this.Now arrange it in a steamer pot, I used my idli steamer.
- Steam it for atleast 15-20mins.Open and carefully remove the kozhukattais from the palm leaf.
Serve hot !
- If you do not get palm leaves, you can make regular kozhukattais but the palm leaf flavour is the best in this kozhukattai.
- Do not skip karupatti(palm jaggery).
- If you have homemade rice flour then use that.
Labels: Karthigai Deepam, karupatti recipes