Stained Glass Cookies is a dream come true for me...Yes I had been eyeing these cookies for the past 2 years and this year somehow gained confidence and tried it.The hard candies are crushed to fill in the center holes and while baking it spread out giving the cookies a glossy look.
I clicked the cookies to hearts content and loved these clicks too...I couldn't take my eyes off,aren't they looking pretty?! :) I used basic cookie dough
for this recipe and it came out perfect.
The dough should be firm enough to cut so make sure to refrigerate until firm to cut to get neat shapes.
Stained Glass Cookies Recipe
Preparation Time:10 minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes: 10 cookies
Maida(All Purpose Flour) - 1 cup levelled
Butter - 1/2 cup at room temperature
Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Colored hard candies - few
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: World
I used half of this dough for this cookie
- Measure and take butter in a mixing bowl,add powdered sugar to it.
- Whisk it well,I used my hand whisk, you can use electric mixer too.Whisk it until creamy and fluffy.
- Now add vanilla essence and salt.Finally add in the flour.
- Mix with a spatula to form a dough.
- Now use your hands to roll into a ball,cling wrap it and refrigerate it.
- I used only half of the dough for this cookie.Take your cookie cutters, you need a bigger one and a smaller one like this.Roll out the dough slightly thin.Cut out using the cookie cutters.
- Remove the smaller flower.Now arrange it in a baking tray with parchment paper.Take a stick or toothpick.While you do this,Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.
- Prick holes a the top of each cookies, incase you want to hang these cookies for decoration.Slice the log.Keep the baking temperature for 12 mins ,Bake the cookies for 9 mins.
- Take your candies, crush each color separately and keep it ready.
- Now fill the holes with crushed candies,Bake for the remaining 3 mins until it bubbles up.Let it cool down for 10mins.
- Carefully remove the cookies and cool down in wirerack.
Cool down then store.
- This dough is eggless and keeps well in fridge for atleast 2-3 weeks.
- You can use this cookie dough recipe as the base for many cookie recipes.
- I used homemade butter.
- I prepared the dough before hand and used half of the dough for this cookie and the other half for dry fruit and nut cookie.
- The cookie may looks soft when taken out but do not be tempted to bake more.
- The candies will look goey but will become hard after cooling down.
- You can even bake the hard candies together along with the cookie itself but I some how felt it would be overcooked so kept only 3mins and it was perfectly spread out.
- Do not stuff more in the holes as it will bubble up while baking and oozes out.Also do not leave holes while spreading the candies.
- Crush the candies just before you want to use them else it will become sticky and will be tough to spread.
- Do not bake more after the candies are added, it easily gets burnt and gives a bitter taste to the cookies(I heard this from my friends).
Labels: Christmas Cookies, Christmas Recipes