Kerala Paal Payasam Recipe - Unakkalari Payasam - Onam Sadya Recipes

Kerala Paal Payasam Recipe
Kerala Paal Payasam is just like our usual paal payasam but made with unakkalari(kerala raw rice).My friend gave me the recipe last year itself but finding unakkalari wasnt easy, this time finally hubby bought it from Nilgris and I made this payasam yesterday.Usually the speciality of this payasam is that it is served without any garnish as my friend said so. So I just added a fried cashew just for photo sake otherwise we had it as such and it tasted delicious with the full flavour of milk and rice.

Most of  the onam recipes that I am posting here this year are from my friend Keerthi(hope you remember her in this post).She called from US to give me the recipes and tips, and not to forget about all my silly doubts...... it was almost an hr chat ;) She guided me throughout....Did I stop with that? Noo I even nagged her through wats app asking about the consistency checks for few recipes....Thank you so much Keerthi!! for patiently going through all my doubts and clearing them too :) Hope I have done justice to your recipe!

And thanks to my neighbour who introduced me to her mother to give more tips for onam sadya recipes...She only asked me to check unakkalari at Nilgiris and am glad that it was there...Thank you Aasha!!  And I am blessed to have such friends to go that extra mile for me... :)

Kerala Paal Payasam Recipe
When I told hubby to buy unakkalari from Nilgiris the first time he forgot the name of it and he didn't take his mobile too, so he returned back......then the next time when he went he remembered half of the name 'unakkal' then a mallu chechi there at Nilgiris helped him with the name and the rice too...thank god. He said he confirmed more than twice with her before buying it as he was not ready to face my questions and doubts ;) You see I am being extra cautious isnt that good?! ;)

Kerala Paal Payasam Recipe

Kerala Paal Payasam Recipe - Ingredients

Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala

Unakkalari(Kerala Raw Rice) - 1/2 cup
Full Cream Milk - 1 litre(4 cups)
Water - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder - a pinch

Method:

  1. Take 1/2 cup raw rice , rinse it well and keep aside. I used broken unakkalari.
    How to make kerala paal payasam - Step1
  2. Take the raw rice in a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup water.How to make kerala paal payasam - Step1
  3. Add sugar, give a quick mix and keep the pressure cooker and switch on the flame...Keep in medium flame, When the steam starts coming out, put the pressure  cooker weight and cook for 1 whistle.Once pressure releases open and add cardamom powder.How to make kerala paal payasam - Step3
  4. Once pressure releases, open and add the remaining 2 cups of milk and simmer in low flame for atleast 20mins and cook till it thickens and the payasam is cream and the color is pale pink.How to make kerala paal payasam - Step4
Serve hot / cold.
Kerala Paal Payasam Recipe

My Notes:

Kerala Paal Payasam Recipe

Labels: ,