Jangiri Recipe - How to make Jangiri

Jangiri Recipe
Jangiri Recipe with step by step pictures.This Jangiri recipe is from ammas old cookbook.Jangiri or Jhangiri is a very popular indian sweet prepared for Diwali or any other festive occasions.I love jangiri,in some sweet shops they use rose flavour and in some they use saffron like A2B, both of them tastes equally good. I have never even dreamed of making jangiri myself, I was always hesitant drawing patterns in hot oil and always thought it was a distant dream and it will remain so but this year gained courage, confidence to attempt Jangiri.

After making jalebi, I got little confidence then and with the motivation from Lavi, thought I should give it a try this year and to my surprise it came out perfect....yayy I am soo happy my dream has come true! :)

Jangiri Recipe
I tell you its not that difficult as it seems and looks to be, to me it is easy than gulab jamun and kaju katli.If I am able to draw these patterns in a decent way then am sure any one can so do try...I have given all the tips and tricks.The only regret is I didn't get even sized jangiris, I am sure will get it by practice.

Though clicking jangiri is a bit tricky, I think have done justice to it :) Waiting for your feedback!
Jangiri Recipe

Jangiri Recipe

Preparation Time:10 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Makes:around 30 medium sized pieces
Recipe Category: Sweets | Recipe Cuisine: Indian

Whole urad dal(without skin) - 1/2 cup
Rice - 1/2 tbsp(I used idli rice)
Salt - a tiny pinch
Orange Food Color - few drops

For the sugar syrup:

Sugar - 3/4 cup
Water -1/2 cup
Rose Essence - few drops
Orange Food Color - few drops
Lemon Juice - 1/2 tsp

Method:

  1. Rinse rice and urad dal twice,then soak for 2 hrs.I forgot to click the picture while adding rice.
    How to make Jangiri - Step1
  2. Then grind it in a wet grinder with very little water.Grind it to a thick batter like medu vada batter.Scrap the sides every now and then.Grind it for atleast 30-40mins.When you take a pinch of the batter and put it in water, it should float that's the right consistency.The batter should be more like butter very smooth and light.
    How to make Jangiri - Step2
  3. Look at the batter fluffy and smooth.Take it a mixing bowl, add salt and food color to it.Set aside.
    How to make Jangiri - Step3
  4. In parallel make the sugar syrup - Take sugar in a wide bottomed pan,add water to it and let it boil.When it becomes thick and sticky start checking for string consistency.When it is half string that is it will start to form 1 string but will not stand thats the stage we are looking for, switch off.
    How to make Jangiri - Step4
  5. Add rose essence and food color.
    How to make Jangiri - Step5
  6. Then add lemon juice, Set aside.The syrup will be sticky, it will thicken with time,to avoid crystallisation we are adding lemon juice.Now get ready with your piping bag or ziplock cover or jangiri cloth.Amma gave this cloth but I was comfortable using ziplock only so used it.
    How to make Jangiri - Step6
  7. Mix the batter well for the color and salt to be mixed evenly.Take a ziplock cover fill it with the batter,cut a small hole.
    How to make Jangiri - Step7
  8. First I tried in a plate,it is not bad right?! Heat oil, oil temperature is very important it should not smoking hot, it should be hot.Squeeze and draw patterns,do not crowd much.
    How to make Jangiri - Step8
  9. I used my paniyaram laddle to flip.You can use a skewer or wooden chopstick too.Flip over and cook.Deep fry till both sides are slightly crisp but color should not change.Drain and remove from oil.
    How to make Jangiri - Step9
  10. Quickly add to warm syrup for 3-5 mins for each batch,then drain and arrange it in a plate.Repeat the process till the entire batter finishes.Finally after all the jangiris are fried,you can pour the remaining syrup over the jangiris.
    How to make Jangiri - Step10
Jangiri Recipe


Yummy juicy jangiris ready to be relished..Are you ready?! :D
Jangiri Recipe

My Notes:

Jangiri Recipe

Labels: , ,